2 + six = 3 - or how to migrate your SaaS to Python 3 without downtime!
Time is flying by and Python 2 will drop support on January 1st, 2020. But upgrading to Python 3 doesn't have to be stressful, it turns out that there's a beaten path that will lead you and your application into Python 3-land without downtime!
Time is flying by and Python 2 will drop support on January 1st, 2020. But upgrading to Python 3 doesn’t have to be stressful, it turns out that there’s a beaten path that will lead you and your application into Python 3-land without downtime!
In this talk, we’ll cover a very effective strategy for converting your SaaS from Python 2 to Python 3. Including, but not limited to, topics such as:
- Planning the upgrade
- Writing code that’s Python 2 and 3 compatible
- Using automated fixers
- Python 3 deployment options
- And much more!
In addition to what’s mentioned above, the speaker also brings personal experience having just upgraded his company’s 75k line code base to Python 3 and will be sharing insights along the way. This talk is aimed towards maintainers of a SaaS but has elements that can easily be applied to library maintainers as well.
- Intro (3m)
- Speaker and company intro
- Setting the context and purpose of the talk
- Total Cost of the 2 to 3 Conversion (2m)
- How many GitHub tickets were created
- How long did the actual conversion take
- Background on Python 3 adoption vs Python 2 (3m)
- Why Python 3 adoption was slow
- Overview of trends in adoption in recent years
- The Upgrade Roadmap Outline (2 minutes)
- The Upgrade Roadmap in Detail
- Why having a modest test suite will make this easier. (2m)
- What to do with 3rd party libraries that don’t support Python 3 (5m)
- Opportunities to contribute to OSS along the way
- Python 3 Syntax Changes (10m)
- How to write code that’s compatible with Python 2 and 3
- Which automated fixer utilities will help
- Oh yeah… Unicode is a big thing now!
- Why Unicode is the source of your pain
- Why it’s very much a necessary pain (hint: not everyone speaks English!)
- Getting Your Test Suite Passing in Python 2 and 3 (7m)
- Deploying Python 3 (3m)
- How we rolled out Python 3 with our environment
- Other methods of deployment
- Cleaning Up Compatibility Code (3m)
- Wrap Up/Q&A (5m)
- Type: talk
- Expected length: 45min
- Intended audience: All
About the Author